Child Bereavement UK has an extensive range of information sheets and other resources available to Primary Schools when supporting a bereaved pupil.
Hover over the topic and you will be able to click on the link to find more.
Schools’ Information Pack:
- Supporting a bereaved pupil
- Children’s understanding of death all ages
- What helps grieving children and young people
- When someone special dies – under 7
- When someone special dies – 7-11
- When someone special dies – young people leaflet
- When your partner has died: supporting your children
- When a grandparent dies: the impact on children and young people
- Explaining funerals, burial and cremation to children
- After the event – supporting children after a frightening event
- Books and Resources for staff
Resources, books, lesson plans and training:
- Example of a primary school bereavement policy and assembly.
- Example of a nursery/primary bereavement policy for schools in Scotland.
- Elephant’s Tea Party provides Primary teachers with lesson plans they can use to begin to equip all children, whether bereaved or not, with the tools to help them cope with loss and bereavement, now or in later life. Sign up now for your resource pack via www.elephantsteaparty.co.uk
- Helping Children Think about Bereavement Book helps Primary schools start conversations around the subjects of loss, death and dying. It is a ‘before it happens’ book. Dying and death are seen as natural processes and it is okay to talk.
- Lesson plan examples:
Lesson plan 1: the end of life
Lesson plan 2: the language of death & grief
Lesson plan 3: Mother’s Day lesson plan
Lesson plan 4: Father’s Day lesson plan
- Cross-curricular activities – For example: English Literature, History, Music
- Whole school award-winning online learning, supporting bereaved pupils – training for the whole school to complete an online bereavement course (approximately 1-1.5 hours) to improve confidence, knowledge and understanding around bereavement.
- Pastoral Support Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 Fink cards – specially developed thought-provoking question cards around the subjects of Loss and Change that have been designed to get people talking by creating great conversations.
- Staff training and support: We have information about self-care awareness and training around bereavement in the workplace we do also offer training courses for professionals supporting children and young people, and cover a broad range of bereavement topics.
- Child Bereavement UK shop: See the shop to purchase publications and resources.
- Short videos created by bereaved young people for teachers, parents and friends:
If you need any further support and information please ring our helpline on:
0800 02 888 40