About the project
Child Bereavement UK believes all families should have the support they need to rebuild their lives when a child grieves or when a child dies. Our mission is to ensure the accessibility of high quality child bereavement support and information to all families and professionals by increasing our reach and plugging the gaps that currently exist in bereavement support and training.
In September 2016, Child Bereavement UK received three years’ funding from MariaMarina Foundation to improve bereavement support in four specific areas across the north of England. We know that bereavement issues are often compounded in areas of socio-economic deprivation, so we will work in Bradford, East Wirral, Manchester and Middlesbrough.
- The North Development Project will work in partnership with local education, health and social care services, as well as with other voluntary organisations in the area which encounter bereavement issues.
- We will map the provision of bereavement support and help to set up Networking and Advisory Groups to include members from statutory and voluntary agencies, together with representation from bereaved families. These groups will work together to identify local needs and create pathways of support.
- Where gaps in support for bereaved families are identified, we will work to provide ‘drop-in’ information and support sessions for families and work with others to train volunteers to provide family group sessions.
- We will work together to provide bereavement awareness training for organisations through in-house training sessions and annual study days in each area.
Public, statutory and voluntary agencies in Bradford, East Wirral, Manchester and Middlesbrough may contact the North Development Team for:
- Guidance and information on a wide range of topics and issues
- Details about the direct support Child Bereavement UK can offer
- Signposting to other organisations which can offer further support
The North Development Project team can offer twilight or inset sessions to schools – either when there has been a bereavement, or simply to raise awareness. We can also assist in the production of a School Bereavement Policy.
We can provide workplace bereavement training to help organisations and employers gain knowledge of how best to support staff and their families.
We can also discuss with you specific training that Child Bereavement UK offers at our dedicated centres and at other venues around the country.
We have a part-time bereavement support practitioner in each project area, as well as a North Development Project Lead. Please feel free to get in touch:
Nicola.Clarke@childbereavementuk.org / 07825 393 360
Debra.Obrien@childbereavementuk.org / 07399 523 272
ManchesterSupport@childbereavementuk.org / Clare: 07827 332 824
MiddlesbroughSupport@childbereavementuk.org / Leanne: 07833 207 340
North Development Lead:
Shirley.Potts@childbereavementuk.org / 07867 306 578
This service is kindly supported by the MariaMarina Foundation.