- A parent of children under 18 dies every 22 minutes in the UK; around 23,600 a year. This equates to around 111 children being bereaved of a parent every day.
In 2017 in the UK*:
- 5821 people died by suicide
- 3200 babies were stillborn – that’s around 9 babies every day
- 6,608 babies and children under 5 died – that’s more than 18 every day
- 869 school aged children (5-16 year-olds) died
- 7653 babies, children and young people (under the age of 18) died – that’s 21 every day
*Source: Child Bereavement UK: Office for National Statistics; National Records of Scotland; Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency
Child Bereavement UK conducted an Omnibus Survey in 2016. All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 2036 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 29th – 30th June 2016. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults (aged 18+).