Child Bereavement UK has an extensive range of information sheets and other resources available to a Secondary school when supporting a bereaved pupil.
Hover over the topic and you will be able to click on the link to find out more.
Schools’ Information Pack:
- Supporting a bereaved pupil
- Children’s understanding of death
- Building resilience in bereaved children
- What helps grieving children and young people
- When someone special dies – young people
- Understanding grieving teenagers
- When someone special dies – young people leaflet
- When your partner has died: supporting your children
- Viewing a body with a child
- Explaining funerals, burial and cremation to children
- Young people bereaved by suicide: what hinders, what helps
- Supporting children and young people bereaved by murder or manslaughter
- After the event – supporting children after a frightening event
- Children at school with life limiting illness – guidance for healthcare professionals
- Grieving children and young people: the role of school. Guidance for parents and carers
- Practical ideas to support children and young people in school
Resources, books, lesson plans and training:
- Elephant’s Tea Party provides lower secondary professionals with two Lesson Plans and numerous activities to help equip all children, whether bereaved or not, with the tools to cope with loss and bereavement, now or in later life. Sign up now for your resource pack via www.elephantsteaparty.co.uk
- Cross-Curricular activities – for example: English Literature, History, Music
- FREE Young People’s App – This app has been created by a group of young people working with Child Bereavement UK. The app supports young people (11-25 years) who have been bereaved of a significant person in their life, and also friends, teachers, parents and/or professionals who would like to know how to support bereaved young people. The app has information about bereavement, grief, feelings and how others can help.
- Whole school award-winning Online learning: Supporting bereaved pupils – training for the whole school to complete an online bereavement course (approximately 1-1.5 hours) to improve their confidence, knowledge, understanding around bereavement.
- Pastoral Support KEY stage 3 – Young people Fink cards – specially developed thought-provoking question cards around the subjects of Loss and Change that have been designed to get people talking by creating great conversations.
- Books and resources: Key Stage 3, Key Stage 4 and Staff.
- Short videos created by bereaved young people for teachers, parents and friends:
- Staff Support: Self-care Awareness and Bereavement in the workplace
- Specific training for staff and schools; Various options for support and training for educational professions e.g. Grief and Bereavement in Schools, Suicide – The impact on Families, Sudden and Traumatic Bereavement, Children and Young People with SEN and many more. See Training in schools section.
- Child Bereavement UK shop – publications and resources
If you need any further support and information please ring our help line on:
0800 02 888 40 / 01494 568 900